Thursday, July 22, 2010

July 22nd - Good Response to Video and Chatting with a Reporter

Here is a nice Rachel Carson quote that seems to sum up my thoughts today.

"One way to open your eyes is to ask yourself, "What is I had never seen this before?  What if I knew I would never see it again?"

What will the marsh look like this weekend?  I've heard the rains have broken up a good bit of the algae mats and it does not look as bad as just two weeks ago.  If it does look better, is that a good thing knowing that another high tide and storm will just wash away any growth again?  Will any new green shoots unintentionally hide from view glimpses of the future?  What does the future hold for the marsh where snow geese settle, the bay beach where horseshoe crabs spawn, and the strip of 130 houses where a small community celebrates special days and each other?  Uncertainty for now.

Enough...

I've gotten very nice responses to the video.  I'm glad it is helping the marsh situation get some attention.  So many are trying but it a seemingly growing uphill battle.

I spoke with Ron MacArthur of the Cape Gazette for about 30 minutes on Tuesday.  He seemed genuinely interested and concerned.  I've sent him our FWS correspondence, the FOIA, reference materials, and many photos.  His story is running in tomorrow's edition.  It will be interesting to see what he writes!

No comments:

Post a Comment