It is hard to know what to do at this point about our marsh issues. The PEER group has submitted lengthy comments on the Draft EA. They point out many deficiencies I saw myself. They do not flat out support a "No Action" alternative but it's clear this is where they lean. PEER vehemently opposes the Preferred Alternative - scraping sand from the marsh side to build dunes. It's clear they will file a lawsuit to stop any work along the lines of the Preferred Alternative. We will see continued flooding this winter I'm sure.
Where was this PEER group when the freshwater marsh slowly degraded and died over the course of the past year? I've sent a note asking them this. I suspect I won't get much of a response. I also sent them January 2010 Stroeh 'decision' letter. Where were they when decisions were made without due public process? I also ask them this.
Is it time for a group of us to secure our own legal counsel to ensure our voices are heard and represented adequately? Where would our funds come from? How much would we need? What do we as a community really need and how does this fit in with refuge plans and what is best for the environment?
Jim and I are putting together our comments to the draft EA. We do not support the Preferred Alternative but rather Alternative 3.
Maybe our weekend meeting will help get us pointed in the right direction.
No comments:
Post a Comment